Home » How to File a Claim with the Other Driver’s Insurance

How to File a Claim with the Other Driver’s Insurance

If you are involved in a car accident in Florida and another driver was at fault, you will need to file an insurance claim with the other driver’s insurance company.

An insurance claim filed to another driver’s insurance policy is a third-party insurance claim. Florida law applies different requirements to third-party insurance claims. For help submitting your insurance claim to the other driver’s insurance and negotiating a settlement, contact us for a free consultation.

Request the Other Driver’s Insurance Information

At the crash scene, ask the other driver for their insurance information. You’ll need their name, insurance policy number, and insurance carrier. All of this information should be displayed on their insurance card.

Alternatively, you can request the other driver’s insurance details from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) by filling out an Insurance Request Form and sending it along with the crash report to the DHSMV Customer Service Correspondence Center.

You should receive the insurance information within ten days after the DHSMV receives your request. More information about submitting an insurance information request can be found here.

Contact Local Law Enforce

If the crash involved injury or death to a person, or at least $500 estimated vehicle or property damage, you must immediately contact local law enforcement and report the crash. This will help you obtain a crash report, which is a vital document for your claim.

File a Claim with the Other Driver’s Insurance

Use the other driver’s insurance information to contact their insurance company and file a claim. You will need to provide details about the crash, such as the date, time, location, and cause of the crash, as well as the extent of your injuries and damages.

You will also need to provide evidence, such as photos, videos, witness statements, medical records, and repair estimates. The insurance company will assign an adjuster to investigate your claim and determine the amount of compensation you are entitled to.

Negotiate a Settlement or Pursue a Lawsuit

After the insurance company reviews your claim, they will either offer you a settlement or deny your claim. If you accept the settlement, you will need to sign a release form that waives your right to sue the other driver or the insurance company for any further damages.

If the settlement offer is too low or your insurance claim is denied, you may choose to pursue a lawsuit against the other driver or the insurance company. You will need to hire a lawyer and file a complaint in court within four years from the date of the crash. If you win the lawsuit, you will obtain a final judgment that orders the other driver or the insurance company to pay you the damages you deserve.

If you have any questions, or the at-fault driver’s insurance won’t pay, call (813) 273-0017 for a free consultation with a Tampa insurance bad faith lawyer at Swope, Rodante P.A.

File a claim with the other driver's insurance

Reference: flhsmv.gov
Avvo 5-Star Client Rating
Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association
Firm Partners have AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
Board Certification from The Florida Bar
Members of the American College of Coverage Counsel
Featured in Tampa Magazine's Top Lawyers in 2023
Best Law Firms 2024 Award from Best Lawyers
Florida Legal Elite award
Florida Legal Elite Hall of Fame
National Trial Lawyers Top 100 award
Awarded "The Best Lawyers in America"
Recognized by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel as one of the nations top one percent in 2023.
Members of the American Board of Trial Advocates
Our attorneys are members of the Florida Justice Association